Sunday, March 14, 2010

Extra Credit Assignment #5

1.) Name: Janet Davies
Position: feature reporter for ABC 7 News in Chicago; host and producer of 190 North, a Chicago-based entertainment and lifestyle program

Interesting Facts:
- She was nominated for 55 regional Emmy awards, and won 12 of them.
- She is an ambassador for CARE, the global poverty organization
- She has worked on magazine shows in Cincinnati and Colombus, Ohio.

If I were to write a story on Janet Davies, I would focus on philanthropic accomplishments, because it seems that all of her charity work contributes greatly to her work as a journalist. I would emphasize her work with poverty organizations and local hospitals, and how that contributes to her work as a features reporter.

2.) It seems that one of my biggest things I need to work on is sentence structure. Many of my sentences are too long, so I need to either be more concise or split my sentences up more. I also need to work on redundancy, because I tend to repeat what I've already said in different words rather than saying something completely original. I need to work on clarity, and making sure that my quotes are not too ambiguous for the reader to understand what the source is trying to say.

I was more careful with my word choice in this paper than the last, but I still need to work on picking clear, concise quotations that are easy to understand.

The criticisms were pretty clear, but I still need help learning how to fix them because I seem to be making the same mistakes. I'm not sure how to pick quotes that are easy to understand, but still contribute something to the story.

3.) When you attribute a student, you must say their name, their year, and their college. For example, "You attribute a student like this," Brittney Henton, senior in LAS, said.

You would fix a quote like this:
"When people talk, sometimes they jibber on about things, you know, (and) don't think about whether she's saying the sentence correctly," Henton said.

You would insert an ellipsis like this:
"When people talk, sometimes they jibber on about things...(and) don't think about whether she's saying the sentence correctly," Henton said.

No comments:

Post a Comment